Our parish incorporates three Catholic churches within the Western Hills Communities from Gaythorne to Mt Glorious – St Williams (Grovely), Sacred Heart (Samford) and Our Lady of Dolours (Mitchelton).
St Williams officially began in 1960 with the appointment of Fr. William Brian Daley as parish priest. It was in 1957 that the development of the St William’s site began with the opening of the Grovely Catholic school in 1957. In March 2004 the redeveloped St William’s church was opened.
St William’s Columbarium and Memorial Wall has been established to provide a permanent resting place within the environment of the parish church for the cremated remains of parishioners who have gone home to God. To learn about reserving niches, please contact us.
67 Dawson Parade,
Grovely QLD 4054
Phone: (07) 3355 2667
Fax: (07) 3855 3455
Sacred Heart Catholic Church is located in Samford Village. The church underwent an extensive facelift in 2009/2010, designed to modernise it’s sacred space. Among the highlights of the revamped church is a water bath at the baptistry that was carved by Neil Handfling from locally sourced volcanic rock, estimated to be more than 450 million years old.
Corner Samford Road and Camp Mountain Road,
Samford QLD 4520
Our Lady of Dolours
The award winning and heritage listed church of Our Lady of Dolours was opened in July 1965, undergoing minor renovation in 2004. Our Lady of Dolours school was established in 1951 by the Good Samaritan Sisters. The Sisters lived in the Parish Convent until January 2013.
The word “Dolours” means “Sorrows” – Mary is Patron to all those who suffer sorrow … she walked that path with Jesus, she knows our pain.
2 Willcocks Street,
Mitchelton QLD 4053
Phone: (07) 3355 1349
Fax: (07) 3855 0148